Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood
Yıl: 2020 Cilt: 12 Sayı: 1 Sayfa Aralığı: 84 - 95 Metin Dili: İngilizce DOI: 10.20489/intjecse.722383 İndeks Tarihi: 31-10-2020
Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early ChildhoodÖz:
Since comprehensive evaluation of academic skills cannot be extensively conducted inearly childhood, specific learning disabilities cannot be diagnosed in preschool-aged children. To evaluate academic skills, children must be school-aged and interventions cannot begin in the preschool period. However, specific learning disabilities in children mayalso be noticed during preschool. Preschool teachers need to determine which kids areat risk of having specific learning disabilities so that they can be detected early and anintervention provided. Preschool teachers need to be aware of the early signs of specificlearning disabilities to distinguish between typically developing children and those at riskof having specific learning disabilities. In this review, studies describing the preschoolcharacteristics of students at risk of having specific learning disabilities are examined,and the early signs of specific learning disabilities and early intervention processes aredescribed based on the literature. Research suggests that the signs of specific learningdisabilities can be seen in early childhood. The need for preschool teachers and familiesto be sensitive to the characteristics of children at risk of specific learning disabilities inthe context of early intervention is discussed.Anahtar Kelime:
Belge Türü: Makale Makale Türü: Derleme Erişim Türü: Erişime Açık
- Agostin, T. M., & Bain, S. K. (1997). Predicting early school success with developmental and social skills screeners. Psychology in the Schools, 34(3), 219-228. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520- 6807(199707)34:3<219::AIDPITS4>3.0.CO;2-J
- Al-Yagon, M. (2003). Children at risk for learning disorders: Multiple perspectives. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 36(4), 318-335. https://doi.org/10.1177/002221940303 60040401
- Bast, J., & Reitsma, P. (1998). Analyzing the development of individual differences in terms of Matthew effects in reading: Results from a Dutch longitudinal study. Developmental Psychology, 34(6), 1373-1399. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012- 16220.127.116.113
- Binsted, G., Chua, R., Helsen, W., & Elliott, D. (2001). Eye–hand coordination in goal-directed aiming. Human Movement Science, 20(4), 563-585. https://doi.org/10.1016/S01 67- 9457(01)00068-9
- Bishop, D. V., & Adams, C. (1990). A prospective study of the relationship between specific language impairment, phonological disorders and reading retardation. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 31(7), 1027-1050. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469- 7610.1990.tb00844.x
- Caravolas, M., Hulme, C., & Snowling, M. J. (2001). The foundations of spelling ability: Evidence from a 3-year longitudinal study. Journal of Memory and Language, 45(4), 751 -774. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmla.2000.2785
- Carroll, J. M., & Snowling, M. J. (2004). Language and phonological skills in children at high risk of reading difficulties. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 45(3), 631 -640. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469- 7610.2004.00252.x
- Catts, H. W., Fey, M. E., Tomblin, J. B., & Zhang, X. (2002). A longitudinal investigation of reading outcomes in children with language impairments. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 45(6), 1142-1157. https://doi.org/10.1044/1092- 4388(2002/093)
- Coleman, M. R., Buysse, V., & Neitzel, J. (2006). Recognition and response: An early intervening system for young children at risk for learning disabilities. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, FPG Child Development Institute. Coyne, M. D., Kame'enui, E. J., Simmons, D. C., & Harn, B. A. (2004). Beginning reading intervention as inoculation or insulin first-grade reading performance of strong responders to kindergarten intervention. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 37(2), 90-104. https://doi.org/10.1177/002221940403 70020101
- Çakıroğlu, O. (2018). Özel öğrenme güçlüğüne giriş [Introduction to specific learning disabilities]. In M. A. Melekoğlu & U. Sak (Eds.), Öğrenme güçlüğü ve özel yetenek [Learning disabilities and giftedness] (pp. 1 -22), Ankara: Pegem Akademi. https://doi.org/10.14527/97860531880 49.01
- Dunlap, L. L. (2009). An introduction to early childhood special education, birth to age five. Boston, MA: Pearson Education.
- Dunst, C. J. (2000). Revisiting "rethinking early intervention". Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 20(2), 95-104. https://doi.org/10.1177/027112140002 000205
- Foorman, B. R., Francis, D. J., Shaywitz, S. E., Shaywitz, B. A., & Fletcher, J. M. (1997). The case for early reading intervention. In B. A. Blachman (Ed.), Foundations of reading acquisition and dyslexia: Implications for early intervention (pp. 243-264). Mahwah, NJ, US: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers.
- Foy, J. G., & Mann, V. (2003). Home literacy environment and phonological awareness in preschool children: Differential effects for rhyme and phoneme awareness. Applied Psycholinguistics, 24(1), 59-88. https://doi.org/10.1017/S01427164030 00043
- Hallahan, P. H., Kauffman, J. M. (2000). Exceptional learners, introduction to special education, eight edition, NewYork, NY: Allyn and Bacon.
- Hallahan, D. P., Kauffman, J. M., & Lloyd, J. (1999). Introduction to learning disabilities (2nd edition). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Hallahan, D.P., Llyod, J. W., Kauffman, J. M., Weiss, M. P., & Martinez, E. A. (2005). Learning disabilities: Foundations, characteristics, and effective teaching (3rd edition).NewYork, NY: Pearson.
- Høien, T., Lundberg, I., Stanovich, K. E., & Bjaalid, I. K. (1995). Components of phonological awareness. Reading and Writing, 7(2), 171 -188. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01027184
- Lyytinen, H., Aro, M., Eklund, K., Erskine, J., Guttorm, T., Laakso, M. L., Leppfinen, P. H. T., Lyytinen, P., Poikkeus, A., Richardson, U. & Torppa, M. (2004). The development of children at familial risk for dyslexia: Birth to early school age. Annals of dyslexia, 54(2), 184- 220. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11881 - 004-0010-3
- Malouf, D. B., & Schiller, E. P. (1995). Practice and research in special education. Exceptional Children, 61(5), 41 4-424. https://doi.org/10.1177/001440299506 100502
- Mazzocco, M. M., & Thompson, R. E. (2005). Kindergarten predictors of math learning disability. Learning Disabilities Research & Practice, 20(3), 142-155. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540- 5826.2005.00129.x
- McClelland, M. M., & Morrison, F. J. (2003). The emergence of learning-related social skills in preschool children. Early Childhood Research Quarterly,18(2), 206-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885- 2006(03)00026-7
- Ministry of National Education [MEB]. (2018). Özel Eğitim Hizmetleri Yönetmeliği [Special Education Services Regulation]. 07.07.2018 tarih ve 30471 sayılı Resmi Gazete [Official Gazette dated 7.07.2018 and numbered 30471].
- Meyen, E. (1995). A commentary on special education. In E. Meyen & T. Skrtic (Ed.), Special Education and Student Disability: An Introduction (pp. 7-31). Denver: Love Publishing Company.
- Mercer, C. M. (1997). Students with learning disabilities (5th edition). Boston, MA: Prentice-Hall.
- Most, T., Al-Yagon, M., Tur-Kaspa, H., & Margalit, M. (2000). Phonological awareness, peer nominations, and social competence among preschool children at risk for developing learning disabilities. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, 47(1), 89-105. https://doi.org/10.1080/103491200116 156
- Mustard, J. F. (2002). Early child development and the brain-the base for health, learning, and behavior throughout life. In Young, M. (Ed.), From early child development to human development: Investing in our children's future, (pp. 23- 61). Washington, DC: World Bank.
- Muter, V., Hulme, C., Snowling, M. J., & Stevenson, J. (2004). Phonemes, rimes, vocabulary, and grammatical skills as foundations of early reading development: Evidence from a longitudinal study. Developmental Psychology, 40(5), 665-681. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012- 1618.104.22.1685
- Müller, K., & Brady, S. (2001). Correlates of early reading performance in a transparent orthography. Reading and Writing, 14(7-8), 757-799. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:10122177048 34
- NCLD. (2007). No Child Left Behind Act. 20 U.S.C. § 6319.
- O'Connor, R. E., & Jenkins, J. R. (1999). Prediction of reading disabilities in kindergarten and first grade. Scientific Studies of Reading, 3(2), 159-197. https://doi.org/10.1207/s1532799xssr0 302_4
- O'Shaughnessy, T. E., Lane, K. L., Gresham, F. M., & Beebe-Frankenberger, M. E. (2003). Children placed at risk for learning and behavioral difficulties implementing a school-wide system of early identification and intervention. Remedial and Special Education, 24(1), 27-35. https://doi.org/10.1177/074193250302 400103
- Özmert, E. N. (2008). Dünya’da ve Tü- rkiye’de aşılama takvimindeki gelişmeler [Progress in the national immunization practices in the world and in Turkey]. Çocuk Sağlığı ve Hastalıkları Dergisi [Journal of Child Health and Diseases], 51(3), 168-175.
- Özyürek, M. (2010). Öğrenme güçlüğü olan çocukların eğitimi [Education of children with learning difficulties]. In A. G. Akçamete (Ed.), Genel eğitim okullarında özel gereksinimi olan öğrenciler ve özel eğitim [Students with special needs in general education schools and special education] (pp. 315-336). Ankara: Kök Yayıncılık.
- Pennington, B. F., & Lefly, D. L. (2001). Early reading development in children at family risk for dyslexia. Child Development, 72(3), 816-833. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467- 8624.00317
- Pickering, J. S. (2002). Signals of learning disabilities at various developmental stages. Children with Disabilities, Montessori Life, 14(3), 46-48.
- Proctor-Williams, K., & Fey, M. E. (2007). Recast density and acquisition of novel irregular past tense verbs. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 50(4), 1029-1047. https://doi.org/10.1044/1092- 4388(2007/072)
- Rescorla, L. (2002). Language and reading outcomes to age 9 in late talking toddlers. Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, 45, 360–371. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.06026391 03
- Ridler, K., Veijola, J. M., Tanskanen, P., Miettunen, J., Chitnis, X., Suckling, J., ... & Bullmore, E. T. (2006). Fronto-cerebellar systems are associated with infant motor and adult executive functions in healthy adults but not in schizophrenia. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 103(42), 15651 - 15656. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.06026391 03
- Rimm-Kaufman, S. E., Pianta, R. C., & Cox, M. J. (2000). Teachers’ judgments of problems in the transition to kindergarten. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 15(2), 1 47-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885- 2006(00)00049-1
- Schatschneider, C., Fletcher, J. M., Francis, D. J., Carlson, C. D., & Foorman, B. R. (2004). Kindergarten prediction of reading skills: A longitudinal comparative analysis. Journal of Educational Psychology, 96(2), 265-282. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022- 0622.214.171.1245
- Shonkoff, J., & Phillips, D. (Eds.). (2000). From neurons to neighborhoods: The science of early childhood development. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Smith, C. R. (1994). Learning disabilities, the interaction of learner, task, and setting (3rd edition). Allyn and Bacon.
- Smits-Engelsman, B. C., Wilson, P. H., Westenberg, Y., & Duysens, J. (2003). Fine motor deficiencies in children with developmental coordination disorder and learning disabilities: An underlying open-loop control deficit. Human Movement Science, 22, 495–513. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2003.09.006
- Snowling, M., Bishop, D. V. M., & Stothard, S. E. (2000). Is preschool language impairment a risk factor for dyslexia in adolescence? Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 41(5), 587-600. https://doi.org/10.1111/1469- 7610.00651
- Steele, M. M. (2004). Making the case for early identification and intervention for young children at risk for learning disabilities. Early Childhood Education Journal, 32(2), 75-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10643-004- 1072-x
- Taylor, H. G., Anselmo, M., Foreman, A. L., Schatschneider, C., & Angelopoulos, J. (2000). Utility of kindergarten teacher judgments in identifying early learning problems. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 33(2), 200-210. https://doi.org/10.1177/002221940003 300208
- Thal, D., Jackson-Maldonado, D., & Acosta, D. (2000). Validity of a parent-report measures of vocabulary and grammar for Spanish speaking toddlers. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Disorders, 43(5), 1087–1100. https://doi.org/10.1044/jslhr.4305.1087
- Thal, D. J., O'Hanlon, L., Clemmons, M., & Fralin, L. (1999). Validity of a parent report measure of vocabulary and syntax for preschool children with language impairment. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 42(2), 482-496. https://doi.org/10.1044/jslhr.4202.482
- Torgesen, J. K., & Davis, C. (1996). Individual difference variables that predict response to training in phonological awareness. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 63, 1 -21. https://doi.org/10.1006/jecp.1996.0040
- US Department of Education. (2018). 40th Annual Report to Congress on the Implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 2018. Washington, DC: Author.
- Vellutino, F. R., Fletcher, J. M., Snowling, M. J., & Scanlon, D. M. (2004). Specific reading disability (dyslexia): What have we learned in the past four decades? Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 45(1), 2-40. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0021 - 9630.2003.00305.x
- Vervaeke, S. L., McNamara, J. K., & Scissons, M. (2007). Kindergarten screening for reading disabilities. Journal of Applied Research on Learning, 1(1), 1 - 19.
- Vuijk, P. J., Hartman, E., Mombarg, R., Scherder, E., & Visscher, C. (2011). Associations between academic and motor performance in a heterogeneous sample of children with learning disabilities. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 44(3) 276–282. https://doi.org/10.1177/002221941037 8446
- Walker, H. M., & Shinn, M. R. (2002). Structuring school-based interventions to achieve integrated primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention goals for safe and effective schools. In M. A. Shinn, H. M. Walker, G. Stoner, (Eds.), Interventions for academic and behavior problems II: Preventive and remedial approaches, (pp. 1 -25). Bethesda, MD: National Association of School Psychologists.
- Wise, J. C., Sevcik, R. A., Morris, R. D., Lovett, M. W., & Wolf, M. (2007). The relationship among receptive and expressive vocabulary, listening comprehension, pre-reading skills, word identification skills, and reading comprehension by children with reading disabilities. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 50(4), 1093-1109. https://doi.org/10.1044/1092- 4388(2007/076)
- Wolery, M., & Bailey, D. B. (2002). Early childhood special education research. Journal of Early Intervention, 25(2), 88- 99. https://do
|APA||Balıkçı Ö, Melekoğlu M (2020). Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood. , 84 - 95. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|Chicago||Balıkçı Özge,Melekoğlu Macid Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood. (2020): 84 - 95. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|MLA||Balıkçı Özge,Melekoğlu Macid Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood. , 2020, ss.84 - 95. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|AMA||Balıkçı Ö,Melekoğlu M Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood. . 2020; 84 - 95. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|Vancouver||Balıkçı Ö,Melekoğlu M Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood. . 2020; 84 - 95. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|IEEE||Balıkçı Ö,Melekoğlu M "Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood." , ss.84 - 95, 2020. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|ISNAD||Balıkçı, Özge - Melekoğlu, Macid. "Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood". (2020), 84-95. https://doi.org/10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|APA||Balıkçı Ö, Melekoğlu M (2020). Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION, 12(1), 84 - 95. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|Chicago||Balıkçı Özge,Melekoğlu Macid Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION 12, no.1 (2020): 84 - 95. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|MLA||Balıkçı Özge,Melekoğlu Macid Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION, vol.12, no.1, 2020, ss.84 - 95. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|AMA||Balıkçı Ö,Melekoğlu M Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION. 2020; 12(1): 84 - 95. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|Vancouver||Balıkçı Ö,Melekoğlu M Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION. 2020; 12(1): 84 - 95. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|IEEE||Balıkçı Ö,Melekoğlu M "Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION, 12, ss.84 - 95, 2020. 10.20489/intjecse.722383|
|ISNAD||Balıkçı, Özge - Melekoğlu, Macid. "Early Signs oSpecific Learning Disabilities in Early Childhood". INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION 12/1 (2020), 84-95. https://doi.org/10.20489/intjecse.722383|