The Relationship Between Body-Mass Index, Central Obesity and Asthma in Children
The Relationship Between Body-Mass Index, Central Obesity and Asthma in ChildrenÖz:
Objective: We hypothesized that, compared with body mass index (BMI) alone, central obesity would provide added informationregarding types of asthma (allergic, nonallergic) and asthma severity.Materials and Methods: A total of 150 children aged between 7-17 years with 50 allergic asthma, 50 nonallergic asthma and 50 controlswere included in the study. Height, weight, waist and hip circumferences of the groups were measured. Waist-to-hip ratio and BMI werecalculated. Pulmonary function test results were recorded. The relation between anthropometric measurements, asthma, atopy, obesityand each other was analyzed.Results: Obesity according to BMI was higher in the group with allergic asthma than nonallergic asthma and the control group (p:0.014). A positive correlation was found between asthma and BMI percentile, BMI z score and waist-to-hip ratio (p: 0.002; 0.003; 0.040,respectively). Children with obesity according to waist circumference were more frequent in the groups with allergic and nonallergicasthma compared to the control group (p: 0.048). There was a significant relationship between asthma severity and central obesity (p:0.048). FEV1 / FVC and FEF25-75 were lower in the asthmatic groups compared to the control group (p: 0.028; 0.012, respectively).Conclusion: This study showed that central obesity was associated with asthma and asthma severity, but not with atopy. Moreinvestigation is needed to clarify how central obesity in children affects the control of asthma and the response to asthma medication.Anahtar Kelime:
Fen > Tıp > Alerji
Fen > Tıp > İmmünoloji
Belge Türü: Makale Makale Türü: Araştırma Makalesi Erişim Türü: Erişime Açık
- 1. Wang Y, Lobstein T. Worldwide trends in childhood overweight and obesity. Int J Pediatr Obes 2006;1:11-25.
- 2. World Health Organization 2000. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. WHO Technical Report Series 894. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 3. Boulet LP, Hamid Q, Bacon SL, Bergeron C, Boulet LP, Chen Y, et al. Symposium on obesity and asthma- November 2, 2006. Can Respir J 2007;14:201-8.
- 4. Benedetti FJ, Lucia Bosa V, Mariante Giesta J, Bueno Fischer G. Anthropometric indicators of general and central obesity in the prediction of asthma in adolescents; central obesity in asthma. Nutr Hosp 2015;32:2540-8.
- 5. Forno E, Acosta-Perez E, Brehm JM, Han YY, Alvarez M, ColonSemidey A, et al. Obesity and adiposity indicators, asthma, and atopy in Puerto Rican children. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014;133:1308-14.
- 6. Papoutsakis C, Chondronikola M, Antonogeorgos G, Papadakou E, Matziou V, Drakouli M, et al. Associations between central obesity and asthma in children and adolescents: A case-control study. J Asthma 2015;52:128-34.
- 7. Musaad SM, Patterson T, Ericksen M, Lindsey M, Dietrich K, Succop P, et al. Comparison of anthropometric measures of obesity in childhood allergic asthma: Central obesity is most relevant. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009;123:1321-7.
- 8. Gold DR, Damokosh AI, Dockery DW, Berkey CS. Body-mass index as a predictor of incident asthma in a prospective cohort of children. Pediatr Pulmonol 2003;36:514-21.
- 9. Vignolo M, Silvestri M, Parodi A, Pistorio A, Battistini E, Rossi GA, et al. Relationship between body mass index and asthma characteristics in a group of Italian children and adolescents. J Asthma 2005;42:185-9.
- 10. Tantisira KG, Litonjua AA, Weiss ST, Fuhlbrigge AL. Association of body mass with pulmonary function in the Childhood Asthma Management Program (CAMP). Thorax 2003;58:1036-41.
- 11. Leung TF, Kong AP, Chan IH, Choi KC, Ho CS, Chan MH, et al. Association between obesity and atopy in Chinese schoolchildren. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2009;149:133-40.
- 12. Schachter LM, Peat JK, Salome CM. Asthma and atopy in overweight children. Thorax 2003;58:1031-5.
- 13. Chinn S, Rona RJ. Can the increase in body mass index explain the rising trend in asthma in children? Thorax 2001;56:845-50.
- 14. Wickens K, Barry D, Friezema A, Rhodius R, Bone N, Purdie G, et al. Obesity and asthma in 11-12 year old New Zealand children in 1989 and 2000. Thorax 2005;60:7-12.
- 15. Van Gysel D, Govaere E, Verhamme K, Doli E, De Baets F. Body mass index in Belgian school children and its relationship with sensitization and allergic symptoms. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2009;20:246-53.
- 16. Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention (updated 2017). Accessed date: September, 2018. http://www. ginasthma.org.
- 17. Quanjer PH, Stanojevic S, Cole TJ, Baur X, Hall GL, Culver BH, Enright PL, et al. Multi-ethnic reference values for spirometry for the 3-95 year age range: The global lung function 2012 equations. Eur Respir J 2012;40:1324-43.
- 18. Hatipoglu N, Ozturk A, Mazicioglu MM, Kurtoglu S, Seyhan S, Lokoglu F. Waist circumference percentiles for 7- to 17-year-old Turkish children and adolescents. Eur J Pediatr 2008;167:383-9.
- 19. World Health Organization, World Obesity Federation Obesity and Overweight. Accessed date: August, 2018. https://www.who. int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight and https://www.who.int/growthref/who2007_bmi_for_age/ en/.
- 20. Forno E, Han YY, Libman IM, Muzumdar RH, Celedon JC. Adiposity and asthma in a nationwide study of children and adults in the United States. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2018;15:322-30.
- 21. Zimmet P, Alberti KG, Kaufman F, Tajima N, Silink M, Arslanian S, Wong G, et al. The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents- an IDF consensus report. Pediatr Diabetes 2007;8:299-306.
- 22. Lucas JA, Moonie S, Olsen-Wilson K, Hogan MB. Asthma, allergy, and obesity: Examining the relationship among Nevada children. J Asthma 2017;54:594-9.
- 23. Akın O, Sarı E, Arslan M, Yeşilkaya E, Hacihamdioglu B, Yavuz ST. Association of wider neck circumference and asthma in obese children. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2016;116:514-7.
- 24. Ulger Z, Demir E, Tanac R, Gökşen D, Gülen F, Darcan S, et al. The effect of childhood obesity on respiratory function tests and airway hyperresponsiveness. Turk J Pediatr 2006;48:43-50.
|APA||EMSEN A, AY A, UCARYILMAZ H, ARTAC H (2021). The Relationship Between Body-Mass Index, Central Obesity and Asthma in Children. Astım Allerji İmmünoloji, 19(1), 24 - 31. 10.21911/aai.546|
|Chicago||EMSEN Ayça,AY Arzu,UCARYILMAZ Hulya,ARTAC Hasibe The Relationship Between Body-Mass Index, Central Obesity and Asthma in Children. Astım Allerji İmmünoloji 19, no.1 (2021): 24 - 31. 10.21911/aai.546|
|MLA||EMSEN Ayça,AY Arzu,UCARYILMAZ Hulya,ARTAC Hasibe The Relationship Between Body-Mass Index, Central Obesity and Asthma in Children. Astım Allerji İmmünoloji, vol.19, no.1, 2021, ss.24 - 31. 10.21911/aai.546|
|AMA||EMSEN A,AY A,UCARYILMAZ H,ARTAC H The Relationship Between Body-Mass Index, Central Obesity and Asthma in Children. Astım Allerji İmmünoloji. 2021; 19(1): 24 - 31. 10.21911/aai.546|
|Vancouver||EMSEN A,AY A,UCARYILMAZ H,ARTAC H The Relationship Between Body-Mass Index, Central Obesity and Asthma in Children. Astım Allerji İmmünoloji. 2021; 19(1): 24 - 31. 10.21911/aai.546|
|IEEE||EMSEN A,AY A,UCARYILMAZ H,ARTAC H "The Relationship Between Body-Mass Index, Central Obesity and Asthma in Children." Astım Allerji İmmünoloji, 19, ss.24 - 31, 2021. 10.21911/aai.546|